What is Adult Foster Care?
Adult Foster Care (also known as AFC), is a program for Elderly adults or adults with developmental or physical disabilities who cannot live alone safely. AFC Members live with trained, paid Caregivers who provide daily care. On a daily basis, AFC provides individuals with personal care assistance in a family setting rather than a nursing home or other residential facility. Caregivers provide meals, companionship, personal care assistance and 24-hr supervision. Caregivers may be individuals, couples or large families.
Am I eligible to be an AFC Member?
To be eligible you must:
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Be unable to live alone due to a medical, physical, cognitive or mental condition
- Need daily assistance with one or more activity of daily living (ADL), such as bathing, dressing, eating, toileting or ambulation.
- Be willing to live with your caregiver
- Be eligible for MassHealth or able to pay privately
- Be approved for AFC by a physician and/or Aging Service Access Point
* You cannot require continuous skilled nursing.
* Your Caregiver can not be your spouse or anyone legally responsible for you.
Am I eligible to be an AFC Caregiver?
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Can be a family member or non-family member
- Cannot be a spouse, parent of a minor child, or legally responsible relatives.
- Must be approved by MCS through an interview, references, and CORI check.
- Must be able to provide 24-hr supervision.
- Will receive a stipend for the care of the participant which is excluded from taxable income.
Matching Caregivers and Participants
If a participant needs to be matched with a Caregiver who is a non-family member, MCS will take into consideration common interest, religion, and cultural needs of both the participant and potential Caregiver.
Multicultural Community Services AFC Program
Multicultural Community Services (MCS), AFC program strives to:
- Provide a residentailly based service in a safe, therapeutic home environment designed to promote self-enhancing routines and rhythms of a fulfilling life for each participant.
- Support participants and individuals through a multidisciplinary team.
- Focuses on individual dignity, community participation, relationship building, choice/decision making, and skill building while providing needed assistance with daily tasks.
For our complete brochure please click here.